Frequently Asked Questions
M&RS Frequently Asked Questions
Master of Divinity—designed for students holding a bachelor’s degree who are interested in becoming ministers. It includes the possibility of Unity licensing and ordination and provides a graduate degree.
Diploma in Unity Ministry—designed for students without a bachelor’s degree who are interested in becoming ministers. It includes the possibility of Unity licensing and ordination, provides a certificate of completion, but not a degree.
Courses may also be audited through our Nondegree Program, which is open to anyone interested in taking graduate level courses without earning a degree or certificate. These courses will not satisfy program requirements.
The Master of Divinity requires completion of 90 credit hours, about three years full-time. The Diploma in Unity Ministry requires completion of 127 continuing education units, about three years full-time.
No. These programs are designed so that you can attend full- or part-time. However, students who are interested in Unity licensing and ordination are required to be in residence full-time at Unity Institute for two consecutive 10-week terms. Unity Worldwide Ministries, the governing body for licensing and ordination, recommends that students spend an additional third term consecutively in residence.
No, but at least 51 percent of coursework must be completed on campus. Other options include taking online classes facilitated by Unity Institute faculty or transferring credits from other accredited institutions (limit of 12 for Master of Divinity students).
The Coordinating Board for Higher Education in the state of Missouri has granted Unity Institute and Seminary authority to award undergraduate and graduate degrees.
SEE Frequently Asked Questions
SEE stands for Spiritual Education and Enrichment, a department of Unity Institute and Seminary. Spiritual Education and Enrichment includes two programs.
1. The Spiritual Development Program—a 250-hour course of study designed to provide a strong foundation in Bible Study, Prayer, Metaphysics, and Unity and New Thought history for interested adult learners.
Anyone may enroll in Spiritual Development SEE courses, whether or not he or she desires credentialing as a Unity leader. Students whose primary interest is learning for the sake of learning are most welcome!
Candidates for Unity Institute Ministry and Religious Studies ministerial track must complete a specific set of 12 courses from the Spiritual Development Program as part of their qualification process for admission to that program.
2. The Leadership Development Program—a 12-course program covering Advanced Bible Study, Metaphysics, Prayer and Meditation, Communication, and Leadership Studies and Skills. Completion of the Spiritual Development Program is required before a student is permitted to enroll in most Leadership Development courses.
Completion of the SEE Leadership Development Program fulfills ONE of the requirements of the Unity Worldwide Ministries’ Licensed Unity Teacher Program. Please see the Unity Worldwide Ministries website for more information about becoming a licensed Unity teacher.
M&RS, or the Ministry and Religious Studies graduate program, is designed to prepare candidates for Unity ministry. Completion of the M&RS program fulfills ONE of the requirements of the Unity Worldwide Ministries Ordination Path.
SEE programs are designed for 1) adult learners of all kinds; 2) candidates who seek licensing as Unity teachers; and 3) candidates who seek to fulfill requirements for application to Unity Institute’s M&RS Graduate Seminary Program.
We invite anyone over the age of 18 to enroll in our Spiritual Education and Enrichment courses. No spiritual background or special education is necessary.
If you are under the age of 18, please check Unity Worldwide Ministries’ youth education resources.
Although some SEE Spiritual Development Courses are designed to be taken in a particular sequence, Spiritual Development courses may be taken in any order that works for a particular student. Students must complete the SEE Spiritual Development Program before beginning SEE Leadership Development Courses.
SEE courses are held:
- On campus at Unity Village, the world headquarters of the Unity movement, offered three times a year. View schedule.
- Online through Self-Study anytime or through Interactive study offered three times a year. View schedule.
- At Unity centers and churches. SEE in the Field courses, five consecutive days of two-hour classes, may be available at a Unity church or center near you. Check the schedule. Unity churches and centers also offer courses over five weeks with one two-hour class per week. For a schedule, please inquire with the church or center near you.
Students who are not yet credentialed as Unity ministers or teachers may earn “hours” toward graduation from the SEE Spiritual Development and Leadership Development programs. Students are always free to enroll as “audit” students if they are not seeking credentialing.
Unity ministers and licensed Unity teachers may earn postgraduate credit for any course they have not previously taken. Postgraduate hours (formerly credits) for credentialed Unity leaders should be coordinated through the Education Department at Unity Worldwide Ministries.
Online registration is now available for online and on-campus SEE courses. Visit the registration page to learn more.
You may also register by email or by phone at 816-524-3535. Our offices are open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (CT), Monday-Thursday. Besides using our online portal, registering via email is the quickest way to get registered.
Yes, you may withdraw at any time.
For on-campus courses, refunds will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
For online courses, we review each withdrawal on a case-by-case basis. Refunds are determined by the time of withdrawal:
- First week of class: 100 percent refund
- Second-third week of class: 50 percent refund
- After third week of class: No refund
Select “Online and Extension Courses” and click “Online Course Login” in the dropdown menu. You will need a user ID and password in order to log in. If you have forgotten your log-in information, you can easily retrieve it through a menu choice on the opening screen of the CourseWebs distance learning system.
You DON’T need to be a computer expert to enjoy SEE’s online courses! The requirements are as follows:
- You must have a valid email address in order to register for our online courses as well as have direct communication with your instructor.
- You should be experienced enough in using computers to compose a simple document and send an email.
- Mac and PC computers work well with our CourseWebs Distance Learning Management System.
- Your computer needs to have a reliable Internet connection. Broadband or “high speed” connections are recommended. Dial-up connections can work for most (not all) courses, but they are not recommended.
- Although we are happy to help you resolve any issues related to our distance learning software, SEE Staff cannot offer technical support for issues related to computer hardware, operating systems or software that resides on your computer.
Check in at the front desk of the Unity Village Hotel and Conference Center when you arrive.
If on-campus accommodations are not available, we recommend staying at one of these nearby lodging facilities:
We suggest you bring clothing appropriate to the time of year you will be visiting Unity Village, remembering that Midwestern weather is somewhat unpredictable. Especially in the fall and spring, it’s important to have clothing appropriate for unusually warm or chilly days or evenings. You might want to bring something a bit dressier for the Thursday evening banquet and graduation celebration.
In the summer, if you like to swim, bring a swimsuit. Unity Village also offers a nine-hole golf course where SEE students are welcome. Also, please be sure to bring any medications you normally take, as well as other personal items. Unity Village is about a mile from the nearest shopping center.
Please DO bring your laptop, iPad, or tablet computer! Unity Village has excellent WiFi connections, both in classrooms, on grounds and at our lodging facilities.
Unity Village is located just outside of Kansas City at 1901 NW Blue Parkway, Unity Village, MO 64065-0001.
By Car: For driving directions, click here.
By Plane: If you are traveling from the airport, we recommend using one of these shuttle services to get to and from campus:
- BATS: 913-634-5484, www.BATS-KCI.com.
- Serving You, LLC: 816-522-3582 (cash payments only), firstname.lastname@example.org (Type "Serving You" in the subject line).
- American Luxury Limousine: 800-861-1071.
The Kansas City International Airport (MCI), also known as KCI, is at minimum a 45-minute drive from Unity Village, so please allow at least 60 minutes between the time you depart from the airport and the time you want to check in for the retreat/workshop.
For your return home, please arrange your shuttle service back to the airport at least three hours before your flight's scheduled departure time.
By Train: The closest train station is the Lee’s Summit Amtrak station (LEE) and is just 10 minutes from campus. We recommend taking one of these taxis to and from campus:
- AAA Transportation: 816-229-9200
- Budget Taxi: 816-479-2588
- Yellow Cab: 816-471-5000
For your return home, please arrange your transportation back to the train station at least 45 minutes before your train’s scheduled departure time.
Yes, a full meal package is included in the cost of your accommodations for your stay at Unity Village. Meals begin with dinner the Sunday before classes start and end with breakfast the next Saturday. Students from outside the Kansas City metropolitan area staying off campus during SEE sessions must purchase a meal package as part of their registration.
Our campus is also home to the Unity Village Bookstore and Coffee Shop, which carries Starbucks® coffee drinks and a selection of light snacks as well as class textbooks and a selection of spiritual books, CDs and fair trade gifts.
Yes, please check the SEE in the Field schedule to see if there is a Unity church or center near you offering the one-week intensive course. Some Unity churches and centers also offer SEE classes in the less intensive five-week format.
For information about sponsoring SEE in the Field classes at your center, click here.
Yes, provided that the student fulfills all of the requirements for the course and the sponsoring Unity center, church, or ministry submits the required documentation to the SEE office at Unity plus a $45 registration fee per course.